[OT] Horizon Zero Dawn | 89 Metacritic Score

Let's talk about anything about video games, no matter what platform it is. What is your favorite game? Who is your favorite character? What are the recently released games? What is DLC (downloadable content)? How do I beat this boss? How do I set up my team?
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

About:
In a lush, post-apocalyptic world where nature has reclaimed the ruins of a forgotten civilization, pockets of humanity live on in primitive hunter-gatherer tribes. Their dominion over the new wilderness has been usurped by the Machines – fearsome mechanical creatures of unknown origin.

Horizon Zero Dawn is an exhilarating new action role playing game exclusively for the PlayStation® 4 System, developed by the award winning Guerrilla Games, creators of PlayStation’s venerated Killzone franchise.
Platform: PS4, PS4 Pro
Genre: Action RPG
Developer: Guerrilla Games
Release Date: Feb 28, 2017

Editions & Pre-order bonus:

Pre-order DLC (may vary depending on region and edition ordered):
1. Nora Machine Trapper Pack – a resource pack that includes modifications for your weapon and outfit, and resources for crafting ammo and traps.
2. Nora Lookout Outfit – a unique outfit with enhanced camouflage and an extra modification slot.
3. Nora Longshot Bow – a hunting weapon with improved accuracy and an extra modification slot.
1. Standard Edition (Estimated SRP Php 2,499)
2. Limited Edition (Estimated SRP Php 3,499)
1. 48-Page Artbook by Dark Horse – featuring Horizon Zero Dawn concept art
2. Steelbook Case – with exclusive cover artwork
3. 4 Resource Packs – the Carja Trader Pack, the Banuk Traveler Pack, the Nora Keeper Pack and the Nora Machine Trapper Pack
4. 2 Outfits – the Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and the Banuk Trailblazer Outfit
5. 2 Weapons – the Carja Mighty Bow and the Banuk Culling Bow
3. Collectors Edition (Estimated SRP Php 5,999)

1. 9” Statue by Gentle Giant – featuring heroine Aloy in amazing detail
2. 48-Page Artbook by Dark Horse – featuring Horizon Zero Dawn concept art
3. Steelbook Case – with exclusive cover artwork
4. 4 Resource Packs – the Carja Trader Pack, the Banuk Traveler Pack, the Nora Keeper Pack and the Nora Machine Trapper Pack
5. 2 Outfits – the Carja Storm Ranger Outfit and the Banuk Trailblazer Outfit
6. 2 Weapons – the Carja Mighty Bow and the Banuk Culling Bow
Reviews: Metacritic (88): http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... -zero-dawn

Giant Bomb 5/5: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/horizo ... 0a&irgwc=1
Horizon: Zero Dawn is familiar but also really refreshing. It's not a short game (I spent around 30 hours with it), but the storytelling still feels concise and efficient. The combat has some nice options that make encounters fun, even when you're just stacking up stealth kills from the relative safety of a bush. And the presentation end of the game holds up its end of things with a solid soundtrack, great voice acting, and a cohesive design that makes all its disparate parts fit together. All in all, it's a great game, it's Guerrilla's strongest release to date
Polygon: 95 http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/20/145760 ... illa-games
Horizon Zero Dawn thrums with the energy of a creative team finally allowed to explore something new. It builds on elements of open-world and loot-and-craft gameplay that we've seen before, but it does so within a context, a setting and a style that feel fresh. Horizon Zero Dawn discovers a stronger sense of its own personality in one game than Killzone ever managed across half a dozen. Guerrilla Games has long been developing some of the most buzzed-about games in the industry; with Horizon, it feels like it has finally found its own voice, one worthy of all that buzz.
PS4 Pro implementation:http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/ ... zero-dawn/

1. Supports 4K resoultion via checkerboard at 2160p
2. 1080p supersampled
3. HDR support
4. Improved shadow maps
5. Improved anisotropic filtering
6. A performance mode was included in patch 1.02 that favors smoother framerates over resoultion

Trailers:
1. Launch Trailer:

2. Accolades trailer:

3. Show and Tell (4K)

Countdown to launch series:
1. Combat:

2. Building the world:

3. The Machines

4. A true open world

5. Skills and abilities:

6. The rich narrative:

7. Crafting Systems:
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Patches 1.01 and 1.02 should be up and provide the following fixes:

Patch 1.01

- Added options to switch graphics mode and HDR rendering
- Multiple crash fixes and progression
- Various performance improvements

Patch 1.02

- Multiple crash fixes and progression
- Various fixes to avoid getting player’s stuck
- Updated visual settings
- Performance improvements

Both patches total around 250 MB

https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/24/horizo ... tch-notes/
TemJin
Rayman
Rayman

Got my preorder
slaughterbit
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: slaughterbit

^Cool! :2thumbs:
US PSN ID: slaughterbit
HK PSN ID: slaughterbit_hk

darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: darkwing75

nice OT, can't wait to play later! it is looking good
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Already played the intro level, the game will melt your eyes.

This is hands down the best looking open world game I've ever played. The HDR implementation looks great thus far, and this thing really shines with a Pro and a 4KTV. Details are sharp, and the colors really pop.

Well done to GG!
symphonyX
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix

just got my collector's edition as well at itech. can't wait to play later hehe.
slaughterbit
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: slaughterbit

Playing it for the past hour. This game is such a beauty.
US PSN ID: slaughterbit
HK PSN ID: slaughterbit_hk

darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

hmm the [OT] thread seems to be appended incorrectly, let me try to fix it
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

Nice OT! Very detailed :D
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

So played about two hours now and here are my quick impressions:

So far this is by far the best looking open world game on consoles (playing on the pro). The amount of detail in the game for such a huge world is impressive. Plus the quality of the animations, character models, and facial animations are all top notch. Very impressive stuff tech wise from GG (as expected).

The story and writing have not blown me away yet, but I'm sure that's to be expected early on as there's a fair amount of world building and character development going on. The voice acting is great, although it's a bit uneven (I think Rost for example is delivered a little bit too stiffly - but that could be just part of his character). Again, this is 2-3 hours into the game, so I'm sure my opinion on this will change later on. Aloy is a very good character though, and it's easy to connect with her.

The first hour of the game is slow, as there are a bunch of cut scenes, tutorial levels, etc. that bog the game down. But once you head out into the open world and do a bunch of side quests and progress with the main story, it really opens up a lot. The combat in particular has been the highlight of the game. Stealth really works, the action combat is really good (running then sliding into a slo mo arrow shot feels super satisfying). The controls are tight, and no performances issues encountered thus far.

Still getting a feel for the RPG elements of the game, as I have not had the time to dig deep into it yet.

So far, it's living up to the hype and then some. If only I had more time to play lol.
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

Yung attention to detail.

I'm Just Saying, Look At How Horizon's Protagonist Turns Around On Horseback
http://kotaku.com/im-just-saying-look-a ... 1792588479

PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
tagamaynila
Jumping Flash!
Jumping Flash!
PSN ID: tagamaynila

They kinda killed any tension i'll get from the fierce robo-creatures i'll ever come across in the game after they open with the abominable child Aloy. That sort of monstrous encounter should be saved for the end of the game.
There's coffee in my veins
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

tagamaynila wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:24 pm They kinda killed any tension i'll get from the fierce robo-creatures i'll ever come across in the game after they open with the abominable child Aloy. That sort of monstrous encounter should be saved for the end of the game.
Child Aloy does look kind of funky :lol:
tagamaynila
Jumping Flash!
Jumping Flash!

It's weird because all the other faces are fine.
There's coffee in my veins
darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

that is what you call uncanny valley, but yeah spoilers lol
darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

the world building is amazing, you want to learn more of the story, and I'm just only a few hours, and so much to do

meanwhile someone else is enjoying it

ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Quite possibly the only thing I don't like about the game is the dumb human enemy AI.

*uses the lure command to get enemy to come to me in the bushes*

*enemy human sees dead body: "There better not be anyone out there.*

*enemy still approaches me anyway*

*one hit stealth kill* :lol:

As bland as boring it is going up against human enemies, thankfully, going up against the dinobots is a million times more exciting.
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: OinkMcOink

How is the game? Does it have multiplayer? If it does, is it the dev's main focus or the single player experience?

I don't like MP games and I have stayed away from potentially good looking games just because it focuses more on giving an MP experience.
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

^ No multiplayer. From my 21 hours of the game, it's a very well-executed single player experience.

The main story missions are excellent, side quests vary in quality. But the combat, graphics, and gameplay mechanics are where the game shines.