Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Let's talk about anything about video games, no matter what platform it is. What is your favorite game? Who is your favorite character? What are the recently released games? What is DLC (downloadable content)? How do I beat this boss? How do I set up my team?
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

nasa trailer ba si Liquid Snake? i have a friend who also saw the trailer and he said the amputated guy is Liquid and i was wtf? got confused a bit.. tinatantsa ko yung timeline nung game, dapat nasa early teens pa lang sina Solid or Liquid nun. Saka hindi naman nagpa-dye ng hair Liquid right? parang nagbago na lang kusa due to the environment he's in (which is nabasa ko lang sa profile nya).
mario_adobo
Double Dragon
Double Dragon
PSN ID: dreddfool

^^^Imposible 'to paps!

Liquid cannot exist when Bigboss is still alive. Yes, Liquid did lose his left arm. But that guys crawling in the beginning of the trailer is most likely Bigboss. :D
War transforms us into beasts - Drebin

[RP] Sandatahang Lakas

SG PSN: dreddfool
HK PSN: MarioAdobo <--- wala lang
PSNomad
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: jpodg27

Wrong post. :bigmouth:
[RP] jpodg27

"No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord."
- Deuteronomy 23:1
Tibarn
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: jhai_radikz

...dapat siguro merge na to sa ground zeros, isang game lang daw ata sila. kaso two parts, 1st part ang ground zeros tapos 2nd part ang phantom pain.
Currently Playing:
PS4: Ghost of Tsushima Switch: Fenyx rising, Witcher 3
PS5: Demons Souls, AC:Valhalla
FC: SW-8583-1421-4426
DJCDIAZ
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: DJCDIAZ

Tibarn wrote:...dapat siguro merge na to sa ground zeros, isang game lang daw ata sila. kaso two parts, 1st part ang ground zeros tapos 2nd part ang phantom pain.
Hmm kaso nga hindi pa rin natin ma-confirm kung seperate package ba sila.
PSN ID: DJCDIAZ
PLATINUM TROPHIES: 42

[MNYK]

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music”
Tibarn
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: jhai_radikz

...sabagay, pero sa tingin ko di gagawin nilang separate yan. 2 game irerelease nila.
Currently Playing:
PS4: Ghost of Tsushima Switch: Fenyx rising, Witcher 3
PS5: Demons Souls, AC:Valhalla
FC: SW-8583-1421-4426
bisugzzz
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bisugz

^ don't you think that it's like milking the franchise? i know na maganda na gumawa ng game si hideo kojima pero sana this game would be better than splintercell blacklist, which i think is an awesome game too in terms of stealth.. sana pagsamahin na nila para di na magulo..
PSN US:Bizugs

PSN HK:Bisugz

Nintendo FC: 2595-1096-5750

MADE IN [RP] Samahang Sandatahan

WHEN GOTHAM IS ASHES... THEN, YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO DIE..
z3kEn
Momento Mori
PSN ID: z3Aya

Hideo Kojima talks Metal Gear Solid V
Metal Gear creator discusses newly announced sequel.

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/hideo-kojima ... ar-solid-v

GameTrailers recently sat down with Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima to discuss his newly revealed Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. During the interview, he discusses the game’s original The Phantom Pain VGAs announcement, setting, theme, concept, and more.

Watch the interview below. Find our transcript beneath it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/84h9 ... -interview

The Phantom Pain Mystery

“There are several reasons for this. One I think because core fans, myself included, wanted to do something interesting in the social space. I think it’s been kind of dull lately, and we wanted to do something to really energize the community. The second reason for doing this is, we wanted to evaluate the FOX Engine. We wanted to put the game out without revealing it was Metal Gear Solid, and just see how well it will do based on the visuals of the FOX Engine.”

“Honestly, we knew that people were going to know what it was, more or less, but we were surprised that they were actually able to guess the exact title. We knew from the beginning that it wouldn’t be a secret. We wanted fans to realize this was kind of a service to the fans as an inside joke, like ‘hey, we know you know what it is, just play along with it.’ And we’re happy fans did realize what it was and did play along with it.”

Two Game Confusion

“To explain on how these things fit together, Ground Zeroes is basically a prologue. And this takes place about nine years prior to The Phantom Pain. The Phantom Pain takes place nine years after Ground Zeroes, but put together, these two pieces comprise Metal Gear Solid V. The Phantom Pain is the main part of the game, it’s really a huge game.

“We can’t comment just yet on how these things will be distributed and sold. But what we can say is that The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes will be two parts of a whole, and Ground Zeroes will come first. It will kind of The Phantom Pain on a smaller scale. It will be open-world, but not quite as big as The Phantom Pain. It will allow you to jump in, learn how to sneak real-time in that open-world, and later on, after they kind of get used to that, then The Phantom Pain will come along and they’ll be thrown into this huge, gigantic open word. It’s a two-step process, the game design, and together these things will comprise of Metal Gear Solid V.”

[Editor's note: Kojima Productions' Kenichiro Imaizumi told me they're both the "same" game.]

Setting

“Ground Zeroes takes place almost immediately after Peace Walker, and then main part of the game, The Phantom Pain, takes place almost nine years later.”

David Hayter

“I can say that yes, there will be a new person [playing Snake], but I can’t say who yet.

“What we’re trying to accomplish is to recreate the Metal Gear series, it’s a new type of Metal Gear game and we want to have this reflected in the voice actor as well.”

Diamond Dogs

“There are many different meanings behind this name. I think you touched on a few of them [Blood Diamonds], and of course there’s the David Bowie album, as well. This is the name of his [Snake's] new unit. He loses his old unit, so he has to create a new one. This is the name. The name signifies many things. The ‘dog’ in Diamond Dogs is like a dog of war, who will work for money and do dirty things. But at the same time, they have pride, and that’s where ‘diamonds’ come in. They fight, and they fight for money maybe, but they have a heart.”

Snake’s Horn

“He actually has some debris embedded into his skull. Debris and bone, as well.”

Cyborg-like Arm

“There will be different ways that, depending on the player, they may be able to do different things with that arm. It’s not going to be anything quite like Bionic Commando [laughs].”

Characters

“There will be many new characters. I think fans can expect to see some familiar faces, as well, returning from the old saga. But Yoji Shinkawa has been working on some new characters, as well. And I think it’s a different taste from what he’s done in the past.”

Style of Gameplay

“Metal Gear Solid has always been based around this concept of sneaking and infiltration. But up until now, it’s very much been kind of like a story on rails. You sneak in, but you’re kind of limited to what you can do. This time, we wanted to create a real open world and a realistic infiltration. So you don’t just suddenly show up at the stage and sneak in, you figure out when you’re going to go to the place and sneak in, and figure out how you’re going to get there. Maybe you don’t go there right away, maybe you side-track and do a side-mission along the way. And if you do that, the strategy will change by the time you get to your final objective. So it’s more of a realistic approach to infiltration and there are many options available to the player. And it’s not something that’s very limited to a certain design. It’s a completely free design and very realistic.

“As an example, say the player has to sneak into a certain area and help a certain person, and they show up at night, it may be dark and they may have a hard time seeing anything. So they may want to use Jeep headlights to see. But if they do that, they’ll probably be found. So maybe they try to use a flashlight and sneak in. There’s still a chance that they may be found. But there will be less guards than if you went in during the day. On the other hand, if you went in during the day, it may be easier to navigate. You can see everything much more clearly. But of course, there will be more guards there and it will be much easier for you to be found. It’s up to the player to decide the best strategy to infiltrate a certain area. As we showed in the FOX presentation, time passes within the game in real-time, a 24-hour time cycle, so it’s up to the player to decide what time they embark on a mission.”

Design

“One thing I want to make clear, just graphics, that wasn’t our goal in creating the FOX Engine. We wanted to change the entire way we create a game. Up until Metal Gear Solid 4, we approached game creation sort of as craftsman and worked on every single little detail by hand and put a lot of detail into everything. And while that’s great, we want to use technology to our advantage and make it easier to create a game. FOX Engine was designed to work more efficiently and give us this boost of technology. We wanted to really shift the amount of time it took creating the game—from creating assets—to actually doing the game design. In the past, maybe a programmer would spend a lot of time creating a certain system or asset. Now a level designer can go in there and create a stage on their own—they can create a stage, they can do the lighting, and pretty much create a stage by themselves. Really, the time goes from asset creation to programming to actual game design and allows us to focus more on the game design.”

Roman Numeral

“Up until Metal Gear Solid 1 through 4, of course, we used regular Arabic numerals. But since then, the west has really caught up. And I think in many ways, we’re threatened by games from the west. There’s a lot of competition out there. So we really wanted to reinvent ourselves with this game, really invent the series. So shifting over from ’5′ to ‘V’ represents our will for victory—’V’ stands for ‘Victory.’ And that’s what we want to accomplish with this game, kind of take back our leadership and stride for victory.”

Theme

“I do have a concept and a theme in mind, from the beginning I’ve had this in my mind, but I can’t say it. I can’t reveal that just yet. What I can say that is Metal Gear has always been about these themes of anti-war, anti-nuke, it’s always had these messages, and it’s always about what’s passed on to the next generation. Metal Gear Solid 1 was about genes, 2 was about means, 3 was scenes, 4 was sense, and Peace Walker was peace. So of course, you know, Metal Gear Solid V does have a key concept, as well, but I can’t reveal it just yet. I can say that it’s a very heavy theme.”

Playable Characters

“You’ll be playing as one character. No Raiden—you can play Revengeance for that. You wake up [in the hospital during The Phantom Pain scene], you’re Snake waking up, and that’s how you enter Metal Gear Solid V.”

Supernatural

“There of course will be a balance between things that are very real and a little bit of supernatural elements, as well. But it will be primarily real. That said, it does take place nine years later and roughly around 1984, that era, and there are instances from that era within this game. If I were to give percentage for the balance, I’d say maybe 80 percent real, the other 20 percent maybe sci-fi or a little bit of supernatural elements.”

Moby Dick Studios

“I wouldn’t say they cease to exist [anymore] because Moby Dick Studio is Kojima Productions. We’re still around. Honestly, I really would have liked to have a studio in Sweden, it’s a really nice place, but as of right now, we’re developing this in Tokyo and in Los Angeles.”

“It’s not necessarily that. I do want the L.A. Studio to have other things to work on, as well. So it’s not necessarily that we’ll be working on the same exact thing. In the beginning, I’m thinking as the L.A. Studio gets up to speed on the FOX Engine, I think we’ll working together on many different things. There will be a collaborative effort there. But my ultimate vision is that the Tokyo team and Los Angeles team will be working on different things, growing together, competing with each other in many ways, so you know, in a sense, Kojima Productions will no longer just be a Tokyo studio, it will exist somewhere in between Tokyo and Los Angeles. It will be the culmination of these two studios.”

Concept

“As far as how much has changed, it honestly has not changed very much from my concept at all. Obviously, from within the team, there were some people who opposed from taking Metal Gear Solid and making it into an open world game. But I think now we’re all on the same page and we’re all moving full-speed ahead toward the same goal.”

PlayStation 4 and Next-Gen

“I can’t comment on any next-gen platforms, but what I can say is as we’ve revealed earlier today, this will be available on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. And of course, we’re developing within a PC environment.

“What you’ve seen today is, of course, moving on a PC, but it’s being targeted on current gen consoles. I can’t say that it will be 100 percent exactly what you’ve seen today, but it will be very close to what you’ve seen.”

“Last Metal Gear”

“I want this to be my last one. Of course, I always say that, but this time I really want it to be true. You know, after this, I really want the Tokyo team and the L.A. team to focus on their own, take over Metal Gear, and create new games in the series while I’m free to work on my own projects. For about 10 years, I’ve had all these ideas in my head that I want to create, so hopefully I will be able to work on that.”
sinkhole12
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Milk the franchise for so long and medyo nakakawalang gana na sundan, medyo nagiging convoluted na yung story even though they're trying to fix the gaps, akala ko na-establish na yan sa MGS4.
Buying: 3DS GAMES>> http://www.pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=52386
Selling/Trading: None
Mitups: Pque, Las Piñas, Alabang, Mckinley Hill
09054982633/09198021610
ishneyk
Cosmic Race
Cosmic Race
PSN ID: ishneyk

sinkhole12 wrote:Milk the franchise for so long and medyo nakakawalang gana na sundan, medyo nagiging convoluted na yung story even though they're trying to fix the gaps, akala ko na-establish na yan sa MGS4.
Fanboy Warning.

IMHO, madami pang pwedeng gawin sa MGS series. kung milking the franchise, I can say na yung Metal Gear Rising ang "milking" the franchise. :) pero sana gawan niya ng sariling game si The Boss, lalo na yung sinabi niyang concept dati na "The Cobra Unit in the Battle of Normandy" :)

anyway, I think dapat ng imerge to with the Ground Zeroes thread.
I hear it's amazing when the famous giant purple stuffed worm in flapjaw space with a tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara Kiri Rock! I need scissors!! 61!!
PSN ID: ishneyk (HK)/nyvremzurc(US)
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

GZ is more like a "patikim" for the Phantom Pain..
IMHO, MGSV as a whole is the combination of MGS, Splinter Cell, GTA overall..
Kojima admit GTA opened his mind. But maybe can't comment on anything about Splinter Cell. But no matter how I like at it, i can't deny may Splinter Cell factor pa rin.

I played MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, MGS4. I played SC1 to SC3 (i stalled at Double Agent (mission 5), never played Conviction yet, & here's come Blacklist in August). Sneaking comparison before MGS4, SC don't have crawl move while MGS don't have duck-walk (MGS1, MGS2, MGS3). MGS4 have both moves. Add the side rolling and shooting while crawling via your back. That's where MGS tops SC in terms of player's military/sneaking moves. But MGS don't have SC's upside down stealth attack from above. Yung CQC from MGS3 parang may part inspiration from SC series..

Though wala naman talagang labeled CQC sa SC games, pero yung idea ng interrogation at pag-sapok sa ulo after interrogation, SC started it. MGS3 made it real, MGS4 made it more real. Pero as a fan of the stealth genre, SC started the idea of stealth game using shadows as ally talaga..

Pero due to the storytelling, MGS franchise tops them in a hundreds of ways. I love both franchise.
pantellica
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

kung "last metal gear" na ito ni kojima, then wala na kayang chance na gawin yung remake ng mg1 and mg2 from nes/msx?

kung hinde yun involved dito sa mgsV phantom pain, sana gawan pa nila ng remake yung si solid na kalaban na si big boss, at dun na para saken pede na sila huminto, meaning one more metal gear pa kung di kasama yun sa phantom pain, pero kung involved na din yun eh pede na rin, di kaya sila aware na madame may gusto ng remake para dun?

hirap lang nyan baka biglang gumawa nun tapos sa ps vita pala lalagay instead of ps3/ps4, mapapabile pako ng vita nun if ever tapos ilang years saka gagawa ng hd version sa ps3/ps4 hehe.

and by the way, I don't think na konami is milking this franchise, malawak kase yung past ng mgs kaya madame pa silang pedeng gawin bago makarating sa present day ng mga previous mgs titles. :grin:
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

I know Hideo is fully aware that many fans wanted a remake of MG1 and MG2. It will finally restore back solid snake in the immortal status in the MG franchise. Siguro tinatamad lang siya na umulit.

the reason why he didn't pursue his group to take over MGS Twin Snakes coz uulitin daw nya lahat ng level design ng buong game na tapos na nya. He's very open to that remake pero ayaw nya yata ulitin yung tapos na.. So that's where Silicon Knights came in and did the job. That's wayback in 2004.

But when he did MGS4, he improved and redesigned Shadow Moses. So kaya naman pala nya umulit ng game design. So i think there's no reason not to recreate MG1 and MG2.

and Phantom Pain is set in 1984. 11 years after Outer Heaven Uprising na.
so may 11 years gap pa si Kojima to fill up the whole Metal Gear (Snake) saga.

EDIT:
sa Youtube pala nagsimula yung usap-usapan na si Liquid Snake daw ang bida sa MGSV.. Putek na yan.. Ano kaya pumasok sa isip nila sa Liquid ang bida? Oh well... :banghead:
pantellica
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

may usapan palang ganun na si liquid snake ang bida? baka naman sa susunod may isang game na maikse na ilalabas like mgs revengeance pero si sunny naman ang bida, wala kang gagawin kundi magluto ng itlog
atabspunk
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

nevets wrote:nasa mgs3 snake eater kung bakit siya big boss
Iba pala ibig kong sabihin... kumbaga kung paano nagawa ni BIG BOSS yung kung paano nabuo ang Outer Heaven? (o sa peace walker na yun?)

Kelangan ko na muna manghiram ng MGS HD Collection (o maghanap ng mura) para sa trophies na rin at sa PEACE WALKER...

Ang ganda pa rin nung trailer sa GDC... buhay na buhay yung animations lalo na dun sa kabayo... :2thumbs:
nyll47
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: nyll47

PSNomad wrote:^
The Phantom Pain And Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes Are Two Separate Games [Update 2]

Earlier today, Kojima Productions announced that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain together make up Metal Gear Solid V. This made it sound like the two are the same game, but this isn’t actually the case.

We got in touch with Konami to ask just what the deal is with the two titles, and the publisher’s Director of Public Relations, Jay Boor, informed us that they are in fact two separate games.

“Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games,” Boor clarified to Siliconera via e-mail. “GZ will be a prologue to The Phantom Pain.”

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Hideo Kojima writes: “’Ground Zeroes’ is a prologue of ‘MGSV’. 9 years after that event will be ‘The Phantom Pain’. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game ‘TPP’. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of ‘TPP’ which is tutorial that starts from crawling.”

Update: When we pressed Boor for further details and asked if both The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, he replied: “Can’t comment on the SKUs unfortuantely [sic]. TPP is definitely 360 and PS3 though.”

Update 2: We got in touch with Boor again, this time asking if the two games will be part of the same package or on the same disc. He replied: “Can’t confirm at this time”.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27/th ... ate-games/

2 new Metal Gear games for PS3 then? I was kinda hoping na yung MGSV would be a PS4 title na may MGO2 nang kasama :bigmouth:
PS3 40GB 10/19/08-3/27/10

PSN: nyll47

Easiest way to earn online: http://www.neobux.com/?r=rnyll47
ishneyk
Cosmic Race
Cosmic Race
PSN ID: ishneyk

pinanood ko yung buong GDC keynote nila, ang galing. ginawa nila yung Ground Zeroes trailer na daytime naman, pareho lang lahat.
I hear it's amazing when the famous giant purple stuffed worm in flapjaw space with a tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara Kiri Rock! I need scissors!! 61!!
PSN ID: ishneyk (HK)/nyvremzurc(US)
deathzero23
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

kung cross platform ito (PS3 and PS4), nako baka maganda nga cutscenes pero baka magka-discrepancy sa graphics pag in-game na... more likely baka ganun ang mangyari di ba? baka sa PS3 eh Cutscenes Fox Engine pero pag-ingame na eh MGS4 na graphics

sa tingin nyo yung cinematics sa trailer eh PS3 o PS4? Kasi at this age alam natin wala nang isasagad pa ang PS3 di ba since matagal na ang PS3 hardware eh. Unless talagang nahanapan ng paraan ni Kojima via Fox Engine na may isasagad pa ang mga PS3?
WtuRn
PlayStation
PlayStation
PSN ID: WtuRn

hayz ang isa ko pa inaabangan kung may Online feature din to. like MGS4. Miss ko na maglaro ng Metal Gear Online.
z3kEn
Momento Mori
PSN ID: z3Aya

David Hayter making a comeback??