Formula 1 thread

Talk about things other than video games. What are your other hobbies? What's your favorite TV show? Are you into sports. Any recommended restaurants? Do you travel?
cytomiko
Cosmic Race
Cosmic Race

-F1 is becoming more complicated by the year, optional KERS? come on

2011 season changes

With moveable rear wings, a new tyre supplier, the return of KERS, a 107 percent qualifying rule and more, there are plenty of regulation changes that will have a major impact on the Formula One field in 2011…

Adjustable rear wings
Under new moveable bodywork regulations, drivers of suitably equipped cars can adjust the rear wing from the cockpit, altering its angle of incidence through a set range. (The moveable front wing, used in 2010, has been dropped.) The system’s availability is electronically governed - it can be used at any time in practice and qualifying, but during the race can only be activated when a driver is less than one second behind another car at pre-determined points on the track. The system is then deactivated once the driver brakes. In combination with KERS, it is designed to boost overtaking. Also like KERS, it isn’t compulsory.

No F-ducts or double diffusers
Any system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011 - that means no F-ducts. Tightening of the regulations on stepped floors means double diffusers in their original sense are also banned.

KERS
A badge of honour for some, a bugbear for others on its debut in 2009, KERS - or Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems - have been reintroduced in 2011 after the teams mutually agreed to suspend their use in 2010. KERS take the waste energy generated under braking and turns it into additional power. This is then made available to the driver in fixed quantities per lap via a steering wheel-mounted ‘boost button’. The systems are essentially the same as those seen in ’09, with no increase in the maximum permitted power (though that could change in subsequent seasons). The challenge for the engineers this time round is packaging. Last time KERS was run, refuelling was legal. Now, with it banned, fuel tanks are larger and finding room to accommodate battery packs etc is not as easy. Hence don’t be surprised if bodywork has grown in places, relative to 2010. On the plus side, minimum car weight has been upped by 20kg to 640kg, meaning larger drivers don’t pay the weight-distribution penalty they once did in a KERS-equipped car.

Wheel tethers
In response to several stray wheels over the course of the 2010 season, teams must now place a second tether on every wheel to improve safety. The two tethers must be contained in separate suspension members.

Tyres
Following Bridgestone’s decision to withdraw at the end of 2010 after 13 years in Formula One, Pirelli take over as the sport’s sole tyre supplier. The Italian company, last part of F1 in 1991, will provide all teams with rubber for the next three years.

Tyre allocation has been reduced for 2011, with 11 rather than 14 sets of dry-weather tyres available to each driver per race weekend. Drivers will receive three sets (two prime, one option) to use in P1 and P2 and must return one set after each session. A further eight sets will then be at their disposal for the rest of the weekend, although one set of each specification must be handed back before qualifying.

If a driver fails to use both specifications of dry-weather tyres during a (dry) race, they will be excluded from the results. If a (dry) race is suspended and can’t be restarted, and a driver has failed to use both specifications, 30 seconds will be added to the driver’s race time.

Gearboxes
As part of the sport’s cost-saving and environmental initiatives, gearboxes now need to last for five race weekends, instead of the previous four.

107% qualifying rule
During the first phase of qualifying, any driver who fails to set a lap within 107 percent of the fastest Q1 time will not be allowed to start the race. However, in exceptional circumstances, which could include a driver setting a suitable time during practice, the stewards may permit the car to start.

Team curfew
A clampdown on long working hours has been introduced, with a curfew on team personnel connected with the operation of the cars. They will not be allowed into the circuit between midnight and 6am when practice is scheduled to start at 10am the following day, or between 1am and 7am when practice starts at 11am. Each team is permitted four individual exceptions to this rule during the season.

Penalties
Stewards now have the power to impose a wider range of penalties for driving and other rule transgressions. Added to their armoury are time penalties, the right to exclude drivers from race results, or suspend them from subsequent events.

Team orders
The clause in the sporting regulations banning team orders has been removed
psn id: MLucena

"moonlight illuminate finite"
Cornholio00
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix
PSN ID: Cornholio_00

lapit na to, hehehe, excited nako, for me, the biggest changes, is the change from bridgestones to pirelli,
ang labanan dito, kung sinong driver ang unang makakapag-adopt sa tyres, (driving style), isa pang magandang
nangyari eh, yung pagkaka-alis ng double diffuser, kung saan naman galing yung infamous na blown diffuser ng redbull
kaya naka-angat agad sila nung start, medyo level ang playing field ngayon, lamang lang ng onti yung mga
naka-gamit ng kers last 2009, pero balancing act parin to for the engineers, kase dami nila icoconsider, specially yung weight nung car, isipin mo, may kers na, full tank ka pa sa start ng race, dun sa moveable rear wing, medyo pantay pantay
sila dito, pagdating sa drivers lineup, mclaren & redbull ang may edge, imo, hehehe, ferrari & mercedez syempre, andyan parin, pero ang medyo naiintriga ako ay si pastor maldonaldo, na ipinalit kay hulkenberg, sayang na sayang ako kay nico h, kase alam kong mag-eexcel sya a year or two sa f1, ang problem, sinibak agad si nico h, dahil may backing si pastor m. from his country,
anyway, another year of slam bang racing, hehehe,
PSN: Cornholio_00
radical dreamer02
The Raiden Project
The Raiden Project
PSN ID: turbokit_ph

marami pa namang vacancy eh. puro sa TBC nga lang :rofl:
XBL ID: Gamblah0lik

"Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer all require one ball.

In Formula 1 you need two!"
cytomiko
Cosmic Race
Cosmic Race

well at least wala ng team orders, hindi na mahihirapan mag panggap yung mga teams

radical dreamer02
The Raiden Project
The Raiden Project

i think you mean meron na ulit. :smiley: Banning team orders is Bullsh*t anyways. hindi naman yun sinusunod eh. :rofl:
XBL ID: Gamblah0lik

"Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer all require one ball.

In Formula 1 you need two!"
cytomiko
Cosmic Race
Cosmic Race

cytomiko wrote:-F1 is becoming more complicated by the year, optional KERS? come on

2011 season changes

Team orders
The clause in the sporting regulations banning team orders has been removed

wala na bro, i guess they figured na di naman nasusunod e

choy
hype lang
PSN ID: choyPSX

na-aksidente pala si Kubica and his racing future is in jeopardy. he's out for the coming season
<( )> You have earned a trophy.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

Currently playing Gran Turismo 5
ejsz
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer
PSN ID: jzosa

F1 Opener moved two weeks due to unrest in Bahrain.

Season will now start in Melbourne on March 27.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89598
psn ID: jzosa
machine
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix
PSN ID: leoman420

Pre season testing and red bull still looks like the favorites for this season
PS3
Xbox 360 elite
Nintendo wii
PC-i5 750
Psp 2000 Slim
Cornholio00
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix

machine wrote:Pre season testing and red bull still looks like the favorites for this season
yup, redbulls are the favorites, but the ferrari are very close behind, not like last year, this will be an interesting season, because pit strategies will be very vital, :agree:
choy
hype lang

dapat ibalik na yung one tyre per race, tapos no refueling. hahahah! wala nang pits! pag umulan lang!
<( )> You have earned a trophy.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

Currently playing Gran Turismo 5
machine
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix
PSN ID: leoman420

Cornholio00 wrote:
machine wrote:Pre season testing and red bull still looks like the favorites for this season
yup, redbulls are the favorites, but the ferrari are very close behind, not like last year, this will be an interesting season, because pit strategies will be very vital, :agree:
if its down to pit strategies....i think ross brawn + schumi has a slight advantage provided mercedes gp has a competitive car
PS3
Xbox 360 elite
Nintendo wii
PC-i5 750
Psp 2000 Slim
triplethreat
Novastorm
Novastorm
PSN ID: Triplethreat_6

:agree: :agree: :agree: for cytomiko for posting rule changes
This is gonna be interesting as everybody is complaining of fast tire degration. Ross Brawn is looking at teams taking as much as 3 pit stops, even 4 :smiley: Alonso is confident and i think will be better after settling down and establishing his first year with Ferrari. Schumi although admitted that car is not a championship winning car is improving and is declaring his confidence in 2011 season. The red bulls look strong paarin, well in terms of car. Hindi pa kasi ako masyado convince on Vettels driving. Yes he is fast but only when he is in front. He tends to crack under pressure if na sa mid field sya. And let's not forget Massa. I think he will be going out this year trying to regain his old form which he didn't have last year. But mahirapan rin sya talunin own teammate nya :smiley:
PS3 US 80Gb
"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth"
PSALM 46:10

a MAC a day keeps the virus away :-)
Cornholio00
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix

triplethreat wrote::agree: :agree: :agree: for cytomiko for posting rule changes
This is gonna be interesting as everybody is complaining of fast tire degration. Ross Brawn is looking at teams taking as much as 3 pit stops, even 4 :smiley: Alonso is confident and i think will be better after settling down and establishing his first year with Ferrari. Schumi although admitted that car is not a championship winning car is improving and is declaring his confidence in 2011 season. The red bulls look strong paarin, well in terms of car. Hindi pa kasi ako masyado convince on Vettels driving. Yes he is fast but only when he is in front. He tends to crack under pressure if na sa mid field sya. And let's not forget Massa. I think he will be going out this year trying to regain his old form which he didn't have last year. But mahirapan rin sya talunin own teammate nya :smiley:
Yup, yun din ang tingin ko kay vettel, he easily succumbs to pressure, pag sa midfield or his own teammate is in front of him, hehehe, sometimes his aggression is getting the better of him, in short, kulang pa sa experience, like what happened to hamilton noong 1st year nya, im routing for alonso, hehehe, because I am a ferrari fan, hehehe

countdown mode na nga ako eh, 5 days nalang q1 na, hehehe :clap: :clap: :clap:
triplethreat
Novastorm
Novastorm

Been a Schumacher fan so i want him to improve and succed this year. But i'm rooting for Ferrari and Fernando Alonso :agree: :clap: :agree: :clap:
I'm really intrigue by how the Perilli tires will perform. Seems like that has been everybody's concern sa testing.

OT but nag start na MotoGP kahapon. Lakas ng Honda. the way i see it kaya mag 1-2-3 Pedrosa, Stoner and Divizioso(all Honda). But gusto ko mag improve Ducati for Rossi.
PS3 US 80Gb
"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth"

Cornholio00
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix

triplethreat wrote:Been a Schumacher fan so i want him to improve and succed this year. But i'm rooting for Ferrari and Fernando Alonso :agree: :clap: :agree: :clap:
I'm really intrigue by how the Perilli tires will perform. Seems like that has been everybody's concern sa testing.

OT but nag start na MotoGP kahapon. Lakas ng Honda. the way i see it kaya mag 1-2-3 Pedrosa, Stoner and Divizioso(all Honda). But gusto ko mag improve Ducati for Rossi.

Yup, pirelli will be the telling factor on all the changes na nangyari, driving style will also be crucial, tingnan natin kung magkaroon ng edge yung pagiging smooth ni button, or talagang miles lang yung brawn gp noon sa ibang teams, i have a feeling medyo mahirapan yung mga drivers na hard on the breaks like hamilton or maybe vettel, as for alonso, he can easily adapt on every car that is given to him, so tingin ko, hindi sya masyado mahirapan sa pirelli, :agree:

ot, about sa motogp, inabangan ko to kahapon, pero inalis na ata ng espn/starsports yung airing nila, yup, mukhang honda will dominate ngayon, grabe lakas nila, unless, magawaan ng solution ng ducati yung entry nila, ive read may mga issues si doctor sa bike nya, not to mention hindi pa sya 100% i hope yamaha & ducati can put up a challenge sa honda, i also want to see if spies have the balls, impressive kase credentials nya, :smiley:
triplethreat
Novastorm
Novastorm

As for PlanetF1's precdiction(http://www.planetf1.com/off-on-f1/68218 ... redictions) this will be Alonso's year as Alonso is the most complete driver this generation.

OT: For MotoGP last weekends race lang hindi pinalabas ng ESPN/Starsports yung MotoGP coverage. But on the 2nd race which is in Spain on April 3. http://www.espnstar.com/tv/
PS3 US 80Gb

Cornholio00
Motor Toon Grand Prix
Motor Toon Grand Prix

yup, tingin ko italia 150 is up to the task, sana lang talaga, less mistakes sa strategies nila

ot: buti naman iccover parin nila motogp, hehehe :smiley: :clap:
triplethreat
Novastorm
Novastorm

Finally race weekend is here :clap: First practice na tomorrow morning :agree:
PS3 US 80Gb

triplethreat
Novastorm
Novastorm

5th for Alonso and 8th for Massa in Ausie Quali. But the race is tomorrow, they should be fine :-) 
PS3 US 80Gb