Forza 5 has mandatory free day-one DLC. Won't work w/o it.

Do you also play with non-PlayStation devices? Do you enjoy playing as a plumber saving a princess? Or some bald marines? Or maybe you want to play using the touchscreen?
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

http://gematsu.com/2013/07/forza-5-has- ... ay-one-dlc
Forza 5 has mandatory free day-one DLC
Racer won't function without day-one content.
July 16, 2013 / 08:32 PM EDT / Sal Romano (@salromano)

Forza Motorsport 5 will require users download a mandatory update on launch day, studio boss Dan Greenawalt told IGN.

“So when you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in,” Greenawalt explained. “And when you log in you’re going to get the Drivatars and you’re also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.”

The game, Greenawalt added, will not function without the free download applied.

“That is required content to play the game,” Greenawalt said. “We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

Greenawalt relates it to buying a new refrigerator. When you buy a new refrigerator, he said, you’ll need to stock it up with food. In the analogy, the free download is the the refrigerator Forza 5‘s food.

After you download the update, you’re free to disconnect.

Forza Motorsport 5 is due out this November as a launch title for Xbox One.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Id just download it. Dont really see any biggies here.

Kung yung downloads nga ng gran turismo 2013 edition when you first play the game napagtyagaan ko eh... :)
PSN ID (PS4): Gh0st0fSparta12 XBL GT (XB1): xgh0st12x NNID (WiiU): xgh0st12x
Pamilya, trabaho, ehersisyo, home tyeter, bidjo geyms. Copy paste hanggang kamatayan.
TurnBased
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: twolfkg

A lot of games have day one patches but people are still able to play them even if they don't update. Granted they won't be getting the full experience but this is the last resort for people who don't have internet / internet is down / just moved into a new house with no internet etc.

With Forza 5, you are essentially buying a non-functional product that you need to patch to even get it to work. It's like buying a car that only has three wheels and you need to go to some sort of redemption center to get the last wheel installed. The refrigerator analogy is ridiculous. The fridge can function with or without food. I can stuff myself in the fridge and I'd still freeze to death. This is WORSE than Capcom's ondisc DLC imo.

Also, 10 - 20 years from now, if those DLCs are no longer available or the servers are gone, game collectors will be left with an unplayable piece of plastic.
PSN ID: twolfkg / TurnBasedPPS
3DS FC: 4468-1101-2937
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

I dunno. I guess at this day and age where internet access is literally in your fingertips, this really is not an issue for me, nor for a lot of people for that matter.

A staple of gaming for this generation is internet access. Without it, my opinion is that part of the money you spent in obtaining the console is wasted.

Internet access? Pft... Please... Ive seen cigarette vendors checking their facebook with their affordable --wireless tethering capable-- android phones. No need to make a mountain out of an anthill here.
Pamilya, trabaho, ehersisyo, home tyeter, bidjo geyms. Copy paste hanggang kamatayan.
TurnBased
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

the possibility is always there. I wonder how a tethered connection or a pocket wifi device will handle downloading a 100MB to 1GB patch. This is also different from before when Xbox required a broadband connection(you can still play offline) or with Xbox360 and HDTV(you can still play on an SDTV). Granted, you won't be getting the full experience but AT LEAST you can still play. Now it's more like, "no internet? GTFO"

Internet Access is just one part of the equation. If on launch day, MS' servers suddenly gets hacked, that's a lot of people with brand new Forza discs who won't be able to play their games.

Also, what exactly is stopping people from booting up vanilla Forza 5 and playing around with what's in the disc? Does that mean there are no cars and tracks in the disc? They could have just said that Forza 5 would have a Day One patch with additional cars and tracks and no one would complain.

This is just MS' way of easing people back into their DRM. I knew MS wasn't really doing a full 180, DRM is still the end goal. imo, I'm not going to give them an inch.
joey_ed27
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: JOEY_ed27

Mandatory dlc for a game to work... smart
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

A tethered device might take long to download the content, nonetheless it will still get the job done. Oh yeah... there's also this suppossedly fast wireless internet connction called LTE. I imagine thatd be picking up in the coming months and years.

Ms servers getting hacked.... hmmm... could be. It did happen to sony.

Again, i dont see the point of this being a big deal. Current gen consoles and games require updates without which would not let them be playable online. And how about patches that are downloaded to fix bugs in games? Folks dont really complain about those, do they? MS easing us back to drm? Too early to assume this.
TurnBased
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

People still have to worry about broken / corrupted downloads and those pesky download caps. I also highly doubt everyone will suddenly get high speed LTE plans, given how absurd their prices are.
Current gen consoles and games require updates without which would not let them be playable online. And how about patches that are downloaded to fix bugs in games? Folks dont really complain about those, do they? MS easing us back to drm? Too early to assume this.
As I've pointed out, you can still play offline with or without the patch. You won't be getting the full experience and probably get a buggy game but again, you can still play offline(come to think of it, this wouldn't be such a big deal if they did release it as a day one patch and not DLC). People should still be able to play Forza 5 with or without this day one DLC. I say this is a big deal because this is where it will all start. It may just be Forza 5 now, but soon a lot of games will be having mandatory day one DLC. If I am to buy an XBox One, I don't want to be looking at this future.
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Hmmm... i suppose this would be a safe time to agree to agree to disagree.

As for me, id just simply click on the accept download button and play the game. Simple as that.
Downloading a game patch or update really isnt an issue for me and probably nor the other folks whod get this game.

Im really not about to cry a river over a simple day 1 mandatory patch that can easily be downloaded.
Last edited by xgh0st12x on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurnBased
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

^Fair enough. I won't be surprised when more games adopt this and suddenly the 24 hour check ins are back in place. I look at the long term effects and not just on whether or not I can download the patch.

I just hope that Sony won't adopt a similar strategy(cause they can)
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

Day 1 DLC is okay. What's not okay is when you bought a game for $60 and you can't play just because your internet connection is down or super slow during that time.

Just like in EVO 2013, when the name Xbox One was mentioned, everybody said "boo!"
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

I'm confused though, let's say that it was one week before launch and the game had already gone gold, then I can understand the day 1 dlc/patch concept. But to announce this way before the game, hell the console, had even launched.. What's the point? If they knew that the game can't /won't function without this content, why not just include it in the game? :huh: But hey, I guess that's why I'm not a programmer. :lol:
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Which is a bit weird now that i think abt it. Games like forza 3 and 4 had extra disks which contained cars and tracks that were to be installed. Wonder why they cant emulate the same thing with forza 5. So much so that xb1 uses bluray which allows disks to contain more data.... hmmm...

Oh well... download, install, play.
Tapos ang kwento.
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Daniel wrote:Day 1 DLC is okay. What's not okay is when you bought a game for $60 and you can't play just because your internet connection is down or super slow during that time.

Just like in EVO 2013, when the name Xbox One was mentioned, everybody said "boo!"
Hmmm... i fail to see how the last sentence relates to the topic.

But since it's there. I believed they were boo'd due to the fact that killer instinct was an xbox1 exclusive and madcatz was developing an exclusive k.i. controller or stick which obviously cant be used for ps4. And we all know that most of the evo community uses sony.
darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: darkwing75

no Internet connection, no play

what
TurnBased
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

^I really hope this doesn't become a trend.
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

darkwing_uop wrote:no Internet connection, no play

what
MAG.... Warhawk....

Hmmm, there's something about these titles that relate to this topic. I just cant remember what.

Oh yeah, that's right... ;)
darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

MAG and Warhawk are online only games, didn't know Forza is like that now
xgh0st12x
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Forza isnt like that. It only requires a one time online patch... and again, may i ask... what is the big deal with that?

Ganun na ba kahirap mag download ng online patch ngayon? Do mountains really need to be moved? I think that this is just a tremendously silly nitpick that a lot of folks ate getting too carried away over.

Its an online patch.
Not a triple bypass surgery.

Lol!
Last edited by xgh0st12x on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darkwing_uop
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

so basically no internet = no play?