The Musikero Thread

Talk about things other than video games. What are your other hobbies? What's your favorite TV show? Are you into sports. Any recommended restaurants? Do you travel?
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: OinkMcOink

As per Daniel, I'm making a new Musikero thread.

I took piano lessons decades ago but never made pass the 3rd lesson because masungit yung instructor. I turned 36 recently and I wanted to learn to play the guitar. I'm doing alot of research before buying my first guitar and the general consensus is with teachers online is buy the guitar you want to play with or the one that initially inspired you to start learning guitar. Hearing the style you want coming out of the guitar improves the interest in learning, they say.

It's actually one youtube video that inspired me to want to learn:

Ok, to be realistic, I'll probably will never be able to play that...ever. But hell, I want to play an electric guitar.

Therein lies my dilemma, I want to play an electric guitar but everyone I've asked are so against it. They say to start with an acoustic first, budget wise. I'm inclined to agree since I'm not sure how long my interest in learning and playing guitars will last, so it's better to go for the cheaper guitar type. But I don't want to play an acoustic guitar argh but I'm worried the interest might not last. I've picked up a hobby and dropped it alot that I'm worried that 20k electric guitar set might be a little bit too much for a short hobby. Only gaming seems to have stucked as a hobby.
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

In that video, it’s a lot to easier to pull that off in an electric guitar but that’s just doing random notes. :lol: Having that melody is another thing. :lol:

There are cheap electric guitars below 5,000 range but it’s rare. Another thing you need to buy in an electric guitar is the amplifier. And to get that kind of sound, you need guitar effects. So the cost adds up.

For studying, I suggest starting with cheap acoustic guitar. You can start with the basic chords, strumming, playing a stanza until you complete a song. The finger pressure in doing the chords in an acoustic guitar is a little harder compared when doing it in an electric guitar. But I think it’s better to learn from an acoustic guitar first. Due to the cost. hehehe

I had a bass guitar before and I mostly use it when my PPS band do some practice in the studio. :lol: I can’t play it alone as it’s normally for accompaniment.

The interest in guitar playing will not wane as long as you play it regularly on your own or with a band. Or in a gathering, like singing with family and friends.
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

The video is an inspiration, If i set that as my benchmark eh talagang mawawalan akong gana magtuto. Ahahaha. Maybe something more realistic like The extreme's More Than Words would a more realistic target..is it? :D

Meron ako nakita na Epiphone electric guitar set na around 15k and a Yamaha worth 17k, both have small practice amps, tuners and other accessories, I could start with that pag electric, 4-8k budget ko sa acoustic, there's alot of choices, though. To my experience with other hobbies na dinaanan ko, my wife says I have a knack for finding expensive hobbies. :D

Ah, wala sa mga pinagtanungan ko na friends ang may sinabing guitar effects, I thought the "effects" came with the guitar.

To be honest, I'm a self critical introvert so I didn't really picture myself jamming with friends or with a band. Just thinking of performing for others raises my blood pressure a bit. Ahahaha I think I'll be content to just have my wife as my only audience. ;)
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Hehehe kasi without the effects kulang yung tunog ng electric guitar. Hindi naman pangit. hehehe I dont’t really know a lot of guitar effects aside from overdrive, phaser, wha-wha, and clean.

Word than words is good. Simple but a good song to play. Do you have a favorite guitar players? Maybe John Mayer, Eric Clapton, Ely Buendia? hehehe

You may start with some of their songs. :D
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Eric Clapton is a great suggestion. Looking back, I guess Lenny Kravitz is the most played artist on my playlist that I remember holding a guitar. I do remember nung elementary student ako na tinuruan ako ng pinsan ko ng opening guitar ng Smells like teen spirit but it didn't impress on my mind. May drums din pinsan ko nun that I played around with but I usually remember that moment now with embarrassment because I realize it was only me who thought I drummed okay. I even opened the room door a bit so everyone can hear me play. argh!!

Okay... after days of relentless research, I decided that:

1. I really really want to start with an electric guitar.
2. Ibanez is the brand for me, next is Epiphone (I didn't expect the headstock type to be the game changer in the end).
3. Go for the package first then upgrade later (because piece by piece would land me the guitar I want but will cost total of 28k).

So I'm going with the Ibanez Jumpstart electric guitar package with is a bit over 16k.

Game related: I just learned of Rocksmith yesterday, but I couldn't find a copy or the cable anywhere online and I refuse to inquire at Datablitz because I can't get a decent conversation started with them online.
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Ibanez is a good brand.

Try to play your favorite song again and again. Even if putting the chords takes a bit of effort, just keep doing it until your get used to it. :D

I think Smells Like Teen Spirit will be a good song if the singer can sing it the eay the original singer did. hehehe
SirZap
Big Daddy
PSN ID: SirZapp

noon nung nag-aral akong mag-gitara ang nire-recommend na pang-beginner eh yung "Horse with no name" kasi madali na ang chords at madali pang kantahin. :lol:
Like · Comment · Share
You and 101 others like this.
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

2 chords lang ata yung Horse With No Name.

Madali yung mga kanta na DAGA ang chords. :lol:
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

1 week of learning the guitar and I have gained an understanding on why most guitarist have tattoos. Learning/Playing guitar is an exercise in pain tolerance. >.>

I only know 2 chords so far but It's tough with short fingers. I'm taking the Gibson's Learn and Master course and I'm doing it by the book being the sucker for rules that I am. I practice in the morning and at night when I'm done playing video games. I stop when it hurts enough because I don't want to pause learning because it became unbearable or the worst case scenario, my fingers starts bleeding. In total, I practice about an hour a day. >.>
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

It’s kinda painful at first because are not yet used to bending for those chords.

There are shortcuts to the chords such as G.

Just keep practicing. :)
Oink McOink
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Yeah, I did some research and it seems di naman issue yung maliit na kamay tulad ko. Just more effort pero it's possible. I was starting to worry kasi. Sabi eh yun nga, yung bending lang kasi di sanay sa umpisa.

NEWS: Gibson guitars are near bankruptcy. $375m in dept due in August.

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/mythical-guit ... 43831.html

Kahit wala ako experience sa gitara nun, dahit sa kakapanood ng Pawn Stars eh alam ko na mahal ang Gibson so nung nagreresearch and nagcacanvas ako eh di ko talaga pinansin Gibson. Ahahaha