Avengers: Infinity War (expect spoilers)

Talk about things other than video games. What are your other hobbies? What's your favorite TV show? Are you into sports. Any recommended restaurants? Do you travel?
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

Did any of the MCU movies address Thanos as being a mad titan or are we just basing this on our knowledge of the source material? Him being another agent of destruction doesn't bode well for the movie since he is as generic as any other MCU antagonist with the exception of Killmonger. I don't see it as a character flaw since it's not a weakness for the plot nor for his goal.
:bigmouth:
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

jsnepo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:20 am Did any of the MCU movies address Thanos as being a mad titan or are we just basing this on our knowledge of the source material? Him being another agent of destruction doesn't bode well for the movie since he is as generic as any other MCU antagonist with the exception of Killmonger. I don't see it as a character flaw since it's not a weakness for the plot nor for his goal.
All the characterization you need for Thanos is in the movie itself.

He was mentioned as the mad titan in the movie (and maybe in guardians but i fcant remember). That's actually the first time I've heard his nickname. I've never read any of the infinity gauntlet stories - the only marvel event comic i've ever read was civil war.

There's enough characterization within the movie itself to describe his character flaws: i) in the beginning, when Thanos killed half the asguardians, one of Thanos' children (the wizard like one) was describing their deaths as a service to the world; Thanos has a god-like complex; ii) Gamora details a lot of this in his discussions with Thor + the backstory; iii) Thanos talking with Tony in Titan (he considers himself as a savior as he is the only one willing to take this measure to save the universe); iv) Thanos already went from planet to planet - killing half of the population to try to save the universe.

Also, the definition of a character flaw is as follows:
In the creation and criticism of fictional works, a character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, phobia, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper.
So yes. Thanos' god complex, his 'madness,' and his inability to use the infinity stones for good is a character flaw. He has convinced himself - long before he got the infinity stones that the only way to save the universe is to kill half the population (he's been going from planet to planet eliminating half the population). There's nothing in his characterization within the movie that will suggest that all of a sudden he'll turn away from what he's doing in the past and use the infinity stones to make the world's resource problem disappear by generating new resources.

Otherwise, Thanos would have been a scientist working on solving the world's finite resource problem before he got the stones anyway.
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

That's not a character flaw since it didn't prevent him or at least made it hard for him to achieve his goal. Read your definition again. His God-complex didn't make him dysfunctional while in fact he is very much successful. A character flaw has to negate the character thus called flaw. His character flaw in the movie is his love for Gamora. In conclusion, he's still one of the generic antagonists of the MCU albeit well acted.
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

jsnepo wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:46 pm That's not a character flaw since it didn't prevent him or at least made it hard for him to achieve his goal. Read your definition again. His God-complex didn't make him dysfunctional while in fact he is very much successful. A character flaw has to negate the character thus called flaw. His character flaw in the movie is his love for Gamora. In conclusion, he's still one of the generic antagonists of the MCU albeit well acted.
Thanos is dysfunctional (not operating normally or properly). He's not exactly the poster boy for conforming in society - or a functional member of any society for that matter. The mere fact that he goes from planet to planet killing to people makes him dysfunctional. He may be functional and successful from the perspective of fulfilling his goals, but his life experiences fueled his character flaws (his god complex - using death as his solution) which fueled his motivations.

Not all character flaws need to be disruptive - being successful or not on one's goal is not a prerequisite for identifying whether a certain characteristic is a character flaw or not.
In the creation and criticism of fictional works, a character flaw is a limitation, imperfection, problem, phobia, or deficiency present in a character who may be otherwise very functional. The flaw can be a problem that directly affects the character's actions and abilities, such as a violent temper. Alternatively, it can be a simple foible or personality defect, which affects the character's motives and social interactions, but little else. Flaws can add depth and humanity to the characters in a narrative.
We can argue semantics on whether or not his god complex is a character flaw or not based on whatever definition you want to have.

But the movie goes to great lengths to provide ample justification for his motives. Everything i listed before + Thanos getting all the infinity stones = Thanos killing half the population.

Any solution involving Thanos using the infinity stones to solve the population problem that Thanos is concerned with by providing ample resources goes against everything Thanos has done up to that point.
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

We view character flaws differently but don't assume that mine is just whatever definition I want to have. My view is based on antagonism. Even the directors want Thanos to be an EMPATHIC villain filled with complexities which by your view of him as character has absolutely failed. He's just as generic as Malekith or Ronan as a villain. The main difference is Infinity War has a villain-driven narrative. I guess my expectations of this movie is higher than it being another formulaic superhero flick.
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

I've only read the Infinity War comic from the 90s but not the Infinity Gauntlet in which the movie got it's inspiration. Good thing that Thanos' inspiration in collecting the infinity stones is very different so there are surprises there.

In the IW comic, the use of the gauntlet is different so I haven't read about the deaths of some heroes. It could be in the IG comic.

One thing that the movie should have done is at least show the names of the children of Thanos. I don't remember hearing their names mentioned by anyone. I was able to play the Marvel Future Fight game on mobile where those minions heavily featured and I got an idea who are they and what their powers are.
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
Sn@kemaru
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Snakemaru

Na-miss ko tuloy bigla yun Marvel Heroes Omega na free to play game sa PS4.
Kung hindi lang pinatay ng Gazillion/Disney yun game, baka may special event dun related sa movie na ito.
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Sn@kemaru wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm Na-miss ko tuloy bigla yun Marvel Heroes Omega na free to play game sa PS4.
Kung hindi lang pinatay ng Gazillion/Disney yun game, baka may special event dun related sa movie na ito.
Si Thanos na sa Fortnite BR if that counts :lol:

I hope the Avengers Crystal Dynamics game turns out okay. But for now at least we have Spider-Man in September :)
Sn@kemaru
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

^ Yun lang, hindi ako naglalaro ng Fortnite. :sweat:

Hindi pa rin maka-move on misis ko. Kapag marvel movies ang usapan namin, nasasabi nya na "paano yun, pinatay na sila sa Infinity War?" "Paano papasok si Captain Marvel" " Sino na ang kakampi nya para tatalo kay Thanos" etc. :lol:

Sana sa sequel, isama nila yun Triumph Division ng Philippines. :sweat:
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

VFX before and after
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

those who died off screen, according to the movie's directors
Sn@kemaru
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Need ba ng IG account para ma-view yun list? Wala kasi ako IG account.
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

No need. Di rin naman naka-private yung post. :D

Sinubukan ko buksan na hindi naka-login, gumana naman. hehe
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

The differences between the Infinity Gauntlet comic and the Infinity War movie