Pinoy News Thread

Talk about things other than video games. What are your other hobbies? What's your favorite TV show? Are you into sports. Any recommended restaurants? Do you travel?
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Daniel wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:01 am So licensing nga.

Ang weird lang. Pinag-uusapan sa constitution no foreign brands pero may CNN. Weird. :lol:

Parang batas kunyari na no foreign brands. Pero may McDonald's at ang nagpapatakbo, yung Jollibee o kaya Burger Machine. :rofl:
Nah, it is what it is. :D harassment lang hiding behind a legal issue thats paper thin (again legal minds far far superior than me are saying that this is nothing but the government flexing it's muscles - but you know whatever :lol:). It is what it is. I got nothing to add because at this point the lawyers and gov will j8ust BS their way through the issue.

But you know we cant make any generalizations. :D dibali na na thrineaten wag irenew franchise ng ABS or napilitan ibenta ng mga Prieto Inquirer. Nothing to see here. :D Certainly no pattern of harassment or discrediting of institutions going on haha
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

I agree with SirZap with regard to the Rappler issue. I'm not denying that they are being harassed. Nahanapan sila ng butas kaya ganyan. The problem with Rappler's argument is it is by their interpretation of what the 2/3 of control the foreign company has on them. Unfortunately, documents submitted to the government especially to the SEC should be in black and white, no grey area. What is written is what it should be.

Let Rappler be an example to all media outlets though. Do what you must but be compliant.

As far as CNN Philippines is concerned, it is owned and operated by RPN.
:bigmouth:
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Again, more reading which would be helpful for everyone interested :D

http://www.interaksyon.com/focus-making ... n-rappler/
In essence, the PDR is akin to debt. Because of this, the PDR holder, like any creditor, has an interest in ensuring that its investment is recouped (its debt is paid). Hence, like any creditor, even before it decides to acquire the PDR, it has to evaluate whether or not the company will be able to generate enough profits to issue dividends. This means it has to make assumptions regarding how the company will be operating, or be convinced by the pitch from the company. The PDR holder wants these assumptions to remain in place.

When receiving credit, debtors are invariably made to agree to certain terms which prevent them from behaving a certain way. Certain business decisions are restricted or prohibited in order to ensure the debtor gets paid. For example, businesses are prevented from selling off certain assets or making certain investments, because this can affect the nature of the business and its revenue stream, and hence impact the ability for debt to be repaid. Or they are prevented from assuming certain new debt, because this may prevent the creditor from getting preference in terms of being paid back. No business decision is more fundamental than altering a business’ charter documents, namely its articles of incorporation and its by-laws.

These restrictions tend to be boilerplate, standard provisions in a variety of debt instruments. Bonds and notes and other similar issuances tend to have these kinds of restrictions, as do some standard but rather large loans. This is because it is common sense from the creditor’s standpoint.

The question here is whether or not this boils down to control, even “negative control” as the SEC has determined. Apart from requiring good faith discussion and approval for certain business actions, all business decisions appear to be lodged with Rappler’s Filipino shareholders and management. The likely consequence of failure to discuss or to secure approval for fundamental business actions is the termination of the PDR relationship and the removing of the PDR holder investment. But the foreign PDR holders do not appear to have any opportunity to wield influence over the minds of the Filipino people through this structure.

Besides, do they even want to do that? To insist that there is somehow some foreign conspiracy to inspire hearts and minds of the people against President Duterte requires more of a stretch of the imagination than understanding the simple concept that PDRs do not grant ownership or control. Investors in a fund that acquires depository receipts will probably bludgeon a fund manager who takes an active interest in the destabilization of a government rather than insuring decent returns on the fund’s investments.

The “100% control” analysis seems like an oversimplification that may have a significant impact on how PDRs work, and on all holders of all PDRs in any company, especially other media entities that issue them.
Again, subject to interpretation and legal opinion of those who matter anyway. :D i already said that the legalese is something that I'm not too concerned with, since this can go either way given how the gov acts to serve their interests. :D
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

The likely consequence of failure to discuss or to secure approval for fundamental business actions is the termination of the PDR relationship and the removing of the PDR holder investment.
What happens to Rappler if this occurs?
Sn@kemaru
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Snakemaru

Nagalit at binutasan ang Rappler kasi may foreign investors pero yun mga utang/grants/investments galing ng China na questionable ang motive, wala lang?

Gusto ni Sandra Cam na pa-swelduhin din natin yun 16 staff nya na pinasok sa PCSO, at mukhang may mga bad records pa daw ang mga yun?

According to Alvarez, kung sinong representative or probinysa daw na hindi sumuporta sa federalism ay zero budget sa kanya. Pam-blackmail na ngayon yun mga buwis natin.

Ang gara ng debut ni Isabelle. Mahirap lang daw sila eh.
SirZap
Big Daddy
PSN ID: SirZapp

Sn@kemaru wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 pm Nagalit at binutasan ang Rappler kasi may foreign investors pero yun mga utang/grants/investments galing ng China na questionable ang motive, wala lang?
sa kaso ng Rappler, ang isang mass media company is required na 100% owned and controlled.

sa China depende na yan sa structure ng investments nila. utang at grants pwede 100% foreign. yung onwership dapat 40% maximum lang.

now that where at it, eh yung pinapapasok na telecom company na Chinese up to who much % ang ownership nya? :?:
Like · Comment · Share
You and 101 others like this.
SirZap
Big Daddy

ron_bato wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm Again, subject to interpretation and legal opinion of those who matter anyway. :D i already said that the legalese is something that I'm not too concerned with, since this can go either way given how the gov acts to serve their interests. :D
yes I agree, it can go either way. thus, like I said, we can not conclude :sweat:

for other readers:

kung totoo na may "control provision" sa PDR then what's next?

interpretation kung ano ang nature ng PDR...

then if PDR is akin to credit or share....

or the "Control Provisions" violates the Constitution regardless is PDR is a form of credit and/shares....

then if those provision are pertaining to operations or simply to notify the PDR investors when Rappler changes it form of business....

or even it is a control provision but it was not exercised....thus hindi basis for closure but rather a need to remove only that provision...

maraming layers. maraming isa-satisfy na conditions before natin malaman kung may mali ang Rappler o hinde.
jsnepo wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:29 pm
The likely consequence of failure to discuss or to secure approval for fundamental business actions is the termination of the PDR relationship and the removing of the PDR holder investment.
What happens to Rappler if this occurs?
Rappler has to close and be a blogger :lol: like somebody in the gov't says,

or simply remove the foreign control provision if they are to be allowed by SEC and continue to operate.
Sn@kemaru wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 pm Nagalit at binutasan ang Rappler kasi may foreign investors pero yun mga utang/grants/investments galing ng China na questionable ang motive, wala lang?
sa kaso ng Rappler, ang isang mass media company is required na 100% owned and controlled by filiponos. di pwede ang foreign.

sa China depende na yan sa structure ng investments nila. utang at grants pwede 100% foreign. yung ownership dapat 40% maximum lang.

now that where at it, eh yung pinapapasok na telecom company na Chinese up to who much % ang ownership nya? :?:
Like · Comment · Share
ron_bato
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

More required reading :D

http://business.inquirer.net/244546/mis ... on-on-pdrs

This one actually explains it quite well, so much so that jabronis can understand it :D
SirZap
Big Daddy

ron_bato wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:31 pm More required reading :D

http://business.inquirer.net/244546/mis ... on-on-pdrs

This one actually explains it quite well, so much so that jabronis can understand it :D
maiintindihan naman din ang ibang articles tungkol sa PDR. :lol:

biased lang yan writer kasi Inquirer. :bball:
Like · Comment · Share
Sn@kemaru
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

SirZap wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 am
sa kaso ng Rappler, ang isang mass media company is required na 100% owned and controlled.

sa China depende na yan sa structure ng investments nila. utang at grants pwede 100% foreign. yung onwership dapat 40% maximum lang.

Kung may fault nga talaga si Rappler then so be it. Dapat nila sagutin/panagutan yun. Kaya nga ang terms na ginamit ko ay "Nagalit at binutasan". binutasan or nahanapan sila ng butas. Pero let's wait and see pa rin. Hindi pa naman tapos ang case/issue na ito.

Mukhang madaming nagalit dahil sa award na natanggap ni Mocha from UST-AAI. Ang huling nabasa ko article ay pag-meetingan daw ng AAI kung babawiin ba nila yun award dahil sa backlash ng pangyayari.
Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

Yung UST mismo saka Central Student Council hindi pabor.
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

SirZap wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 am

or simply remove the foreign control provision if they are to be allowed by SEC and continue to operate.
I mean voluntarily, what will Rappler do when PDRs are terminated? Will they be able to continue with their operations? I'm asking this to gauge what control do the PDRs entail the foreign investor.

In a related note, I'm noticing some obnoxious drive by posts.
Seraph011
Kaizoku-o
PSN ID: Seraph01

Congratulations Mocha.... :lol: :surprise: :party:
Seraph M.D.
An1mo
SirZap
Big Daddy

jsnepo wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 pm
SirZap wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:38 am

I mean voluntarily, what will Rappler do when PDRs are terminated? Will they be able to continue with their operations? I'm asking this to gauge what control do the PDRs entail the foreign investor.

In a related note, I'm noticing some obnoxious drive by posts.
well it depends on their income or profit, which I doubt they have. if they still have money to operate then they can still continue.

as for the control issue, technically a PDR doesn't have any control but...... according to SEC, they (rappler) agreed to ...
“Here, the stockholders must have prior discussion with and approval of at least 2/3 of the PDR Holdings, meaning Rappler is at the very least under obligation to consult with Omidyar Network. The stockholder has become, in effect, subservient to the holder. It is neither 100 percent control by the Filipino stockholders nor is it 0 percent control by the foreigner PDS holders,” the SEC said.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/960389/bre ... to-operate
Like · Comment · Share
NinjaLooter
- Kick this player?

SirZap wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:06 pm well it depends on their income or profit, which I doubt they have. if they still have money to operate then they can still continue.

as for the control issue, technically a PDR doesn't have any control but...... according to SEC, they (rappler) agreed to ...
“Here, the stockholders must have prior discussion with and approval of at least 2/3 of the PDR Holdings, meaning Rappler is at the very least under obligation to consult with Omidyar Network. The stockholder has become, in effect, subservient to the holder. It is neither 100 percent control by the Filipino stockholders nor is it 0 percent control by the foreigner PDS holders,” the SEC said.
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/960389/bre ... to-operate
Those are exactly my thoughts on it. Regardless if the approval requirement granted by PDRs is primarily courtesy to investors or what not, and if it has influence over the operations and decision-making, then in it is control. I believe semantics is helpful with this but overthinking about statements and giving them different interpretations other than what is noted in black and white is considered grasping for straws for me.
Sn@kemaru
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

Sinauli na pala ni Mocha yun award nya from UST AAI.

At moving from place to place na pala ang Mayon volcano. Ito ay according sa isang government official. :sweat:

May trending na UST student. Poor girl. :sad:
SirZap
Big Daddy

Sn@kemaru wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:30 pm Sinauli na pala ni Mocha yun award nya from UST AAI.

At moving from place to place na pala ang Mayon volcano. Ito ay according sa isang government official. :sweat:

poor girl ba? if you mean "mahirap" ... sumusweldo sya ng 120K+ petots a month as PCOO officer :lol:
Like · Comment · Share
Sn@kemaru
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

SirZap wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 am
Sn@kemaru wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:30 pm Sinauli na pala ni Mocha yun award nya from UST AAI.

poor girl ba? if you mean "mahirap" ... sumusweldo sya ng 120K+ petots a month as PCOO officer :lol:
I meant the other UST student na may scandal.
yonsei55
Rapid Reload
Rapid Reload

si michaela baldos ba?
SirZap
Big Daddy

Sn@kemaru wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:28 pm I meant the other UST student na may scandal.
yonsei55 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:41 pm si michaela baldos ba?
meron palang ganito. I was not aware :facepalm:
Like · Comment · Share