what's your religion?

Talk about things other than video games. What are your other hobbies? What's your favorite TV show? Are you into sports. Any recommended restaurants? Do you travel?
SirZap
Big Daddy
PSN ID: SirZapp

^^google it :rofl:
Like · Comment · Share
You and 101 others like this.
choy
hype lang
PSN ID: choyPSX

zmed_08 wrote: Ok first I'd like to say that Jesus Christ's teachings are absolute and that is what I believe with no doubt. If this "truth" you're saying is referring only to Jesus Christ's teachings, then I agree.

Now about the Dead Sea scrolls, their existence furthers strengthens the reliability of the Old Testament that were found earlier from the Hebrew Bible since they were the same content. The Genesis Apocryphon just gives an extra text on what Lamech and Noah were talking about but in reading them, one must know that they are not considered "canon" by some denominations (Roman Catholic Church) The scrolls also tell us that the denomination that used them didn't consider the book of Esther before... Though you consider these writings heretical, it gives us a view of early Christianity in those times so they do cover the history of Christianity...
thats what they would lead you to believe. the truth is the Church has been fighting heresy from the beginning. the Council of Nicea convened to fight Arianism. the First Council of Jerusalem at the time of the Apostles was convened to discuss whether gentiles need to be circumcised. not just because they found old text doesn't mean this text contains the truth. often the reason these texts were expunged from most libraries and never found except in caves is because they were deemed heretical back then. they were heretical in the past, they are heretical today. the truth never changes.

think of it this way, i can re-write the history of the Philippines, maybe the history of the world. then bury that text somewhere and maybe 500 years from now someone will find it. how do they judge if what i'm saying is a lie or not compared to what they find in history books? even today you will find conflicting stories on many events, propagated by conspiracy theorists. but thats all they are, theories of conspiracy. nothing more.
zmed_08 wrote: 1.) Well for Arius, I just found he used references from the Bible, but where did that idea sparked from?
2.) From all the info I read, they mostly agree that they were just picked out from what councils deemed heretical (since at those times, heretics were beginning to move through their writing) but I still have no idea of what they think is heretical for them...
3.) I only know 1 or 3 of them, since I think the books were burnt down already so my curiosity still yearns for those pages...
4.) Well Pope Benedict XVI gave a statement to why it wasn't released yet what I'm really after is the answer of Pope Pius XI, Pope John XXIII, or Pope Paul VI since they were the popes that had reigned when Lucia had written down the secret and when Lucia asked the secret to be revealed to the world...
5.) This is more of a question that can only be answered, which I will deem to be acceptable, by a one-on-one with a pope... yet if he answers yes to it, it will just raise more questions in my mind...

so if you think you know where I can get those answers I'm looking for then by all means, please do lead me to them...
my own personal studies lead me elsewhere. there have been several books on the Pope's memoirs, maybe you can try reading them and see if you find your answers there.

all heresies come from a misunderstanding of doctrine. they don't make this stuff up, but rather read scripture and make their own personal interpretation. that is the problem with personal interpretation of the Bible. it should never be done. the faith was not intended to be one person trying to figure it out by himself. there is always discipleship, wherein an apprentice learns from a master. kind of like the Jedi. you can't learn on your own, you must always be guided. for example, the Bible may seem to be worded simply, but in fact it relies on a lot of cultural context to deliver its point. if you don't understand 1st century Jewish culture, then you've already missed maybe a quarter of the message. thats a lot!
zmed_08 wrote: Yes those are what I mean since the only reliable information I can get here in the Philippines is through them...
I'm just lucky one of my professors here shared what he knew from researching...
Interesting but the way you make him sound to me is that I would not be able to understand him... so how will I be able to learn from him? Haha!
Well someday I plan to go to the Vatican library to do research from the books and spend some time with the priests there...
the thing about theologians is they do have a different view on things. remember the ruckus about the Pope's comments about condoms? he never did endorse its use. the way he answered the questions was so deep and profound, it was easily misunderstood by the common man. when you read this books you have to read carefully and not jump to conclusions. brilliant minds, no matter the topic be it theology or science or math, just think at a different level. if they are quoted word for word, us ordinary mortals just may not understand immediately. we have to read carefully and understand and appreciate what is being said

maraming theologians who are experts on these subject matter. yun lang talaga you'd have to seek them out. they can be anywhere in the world.
<( )> You have earned a trophy.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

Currently playing Gran Turismo 5
zmed_08
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: zmed_08

choy wrote:thats what they would lead you to believe. the truth is the Church has been fighting heresy from the beginning. the Council of Nicea convened to fight Arianism. the First Council of Jerusalem at the time of the Apostles was convened to discuss whether gentiles need to be circumcised. not just because they found old text doesn't mean this text contains the truth. often the reason these texts were expunged from most libraries and never found except in caves is because they were deemed heretical back then. they were heretical in the past, they are heretical today. the truth never changes.

think of it this way, i can re-write the history of the Philippines, maybe the history of the world. then bury that text somewhere and maybe 500 years from now someone will find it. how do they judge if what i'm saying is a lie or not compared to what they find in history books? even today you will find conflicting stories on many events, propagated by conspiracy theorists. but thats all they are, theories of conspiracy. nothing more.
Look, all I'm saying about these scrolls is that they contain the same content of the Hebrew Bible and whoever used them also knew about Christianity. Which means whoever used them, practiced or at least knew about the teachings... and the existence of the same content (from the Hebrew Bible) at least proves that the Old Testament didn't change between the two cultures. I'm not saying that they should be believed in. I mean I even said that the Genesis Apocryphon wasn't considered canonical. Yes the Church has been fighting heresy for most of its existence, but this heresy that they have been disregarding were part of their history. It's true that they had reasons for disregarding/disapproving those ideas but this battles against these ideals are part of the story of Christianity.
choy wrote:my own personal studies lead me elsewhere. there have been several books on the Pope's memoirs, maybe you can try reading them and see if you find your answers there.

all heresies come from a misunderstanding of doctrine. they don't make this stuff up, but rather read scripture and make their own personal interpretation. that is the problem with personal interpretation of the Bible. it should never be done. the faith was not intended to be one person trying to figure it out by himself. there is always discipleship, wherein an apprentice learns from a master. kind of like the Jedi. you can't learn on your own, you must always be guided. for example, the Bible may seem to be worded simply, but in fact it relies on a lot of cultural context to deliver its point. if you don't understand 1st century Jewish culture, then you've already missed maybe a quarter of the message. thats a lot!
Well I don't completely agree since, how else can one have an interpretation of something if it does not come from him. I think what you meant to say was that, the personal interpretation was meant to be discussed with others for further scrutinization. Well maybe if I got a hold of those memoirs I would find what I'm looking for...

So what are you studying about?
choy wrote:the thing about theologians is they do have a different view on things. remember the ruckus about the Pope's comments about condoms? he never did endorse its use. the way he answered the questions was so deep and profound, it was easily misunderstood by the common man. when you read this books you have to read carefully and not jump to conclusions. brilliant minds, no matter the topic be it theology or science or math, just think at a different level. if they are quoted word for word, us ordinary mortals just may not understand immediately. we have to read carefully and understand and appreciate what is being said

maraming theologians who are experts on these subject matter. yun lang talaga you'd have to seek them out. they can be anywhere in the world.
Well yeah! It's like reading Shakespeare today... in a sense. Haha!
Maybe someday I'd go looking for them, but for now, I'll try to find my answers on my own...
With volume at 10, reality is but a distant memory...

choy
hype lang

zmed_08 wrote: Look, all I'm saying about these scrolls is that they contain the same content of the Hebrew Bible and whoever used them also knew about Christianity. Which means whoever used them, practiced or at least knew about the teachings... and the existence of the same content (from the Hebrew Bible) at least proves that the Old Testament didn't change between the two cultures. I'm not saying that they should be believed in. I mean I even said that the Genesis Apocryphon wasn't considered canonical. Yes the Church has been fighting heresy for most of its existence, but this heresy that they have been disregarding were part of their history. It's true that they had reasons for disregarding/disapproving those ideas but this battles against these ideals are part of the story of Christianity.
And that is why you should be more careful. Not just because it contains something that may be legit, doesn't mean the entire document is legit. take for example the Protoevangelium of James. It contains a lot of legit traditions that the Church follows until today. But why is it not part of the Bible? Text should be divinely inspired, meaning every single word should contain truth. Half truths means the other half is a lie. Why would you believe a lie?

Its nice to know about the history of the Church and the heresies that were fought. But maybe you should focus on the truths first. There's just so much amount of truth to be learned, do we really need to learn about the lies?
zmed_08 wrote: Well I don't completely agree since, how else can one have an interpretation of something if it does not come from him. I think what you meant to say was that, the personal interpretation was meant to be discussed with others for further scrutinization. Well maybe if I got a hold of those memoirs I would find what I'm looking for...
It should be available in National or Power Books. I forgot the title, it just came out recently.

They were misinterpreted because of how he uses words. Sometimes the same words constructed in a certain way would mean differently. If you are not careful about reading, you'll think it means something else. I read his statements on the condom thing, I have to agree that if you read it quickly and you're on the opinion that condoms should be allowed, it was so easy to misunderstand. Most people read without understanding. The important thing is to read slowly and understand.
zmed_08 wrote: So what are you studying about?
Eastern Christianity. I am not part of an Eastern Catholic parish, part of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. I'm trying to learn the different traditions and its roots. Why we do the things we do. Its Catholic, yet distinctively different from Roman Catholicism.
zmed_08 wrote: Well yeah! It's like reading Shakespeare today... in a sense. Haha!
Maybe someday I'd go looking for them, but for now, I'll try to find my answers on my own...
Well, some of them has written books. But sometimes going through a book on our own is difficult. I guess God intentionally made the faith complicated enough that no one should be reading things on their own and trying to understand on their own.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

zmed_08
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

choy wrote:And that is why you should be more careful. Not just because it contains something that may be legit, doesn't mean the entire document is legit. take for example the Protoevangelium of James. It contains a lot of legit traditions that the Church follows until today. But why is it not part of the Bible? Text should be divinely inspired, meaning every single word should contain truth. Half truths means the other half is a lie. Why would you believe a lie?

Its nice to know about the history of the Church and the heresies that were fought. But maybe you should focus on the truths first. There's just so much amount of truth to be learned, do we really need to learn about the lies?
Well I really am careful on what to believe in but like I said, I didn't say anything about believing its content...
Yes there are a lot of truths out there that I still no nothing of yet, at least for me, I think there is a need to learn about the ideas that were rejected and know why they were by the Church. It gives an understanding on what the Church deemed to be heretical and what they approved of... With terms like "truth" and "lie", isn't it better to understand both? To give you an idea on how they are different, just like differentiating from hot and cold...
choy wrote:It should be available in National or Power Books. I forgot the title, it just came out recently.

They were misinterpreted because of how he uses words. Sometimes the same words constructed in a certain way would mean differently. If you are not careful about reading, you'll think it means something else. I read his statements on the condom thing, I have to agree that if you read it quickly and you're on the opinion that condoms should be allowed, it was so easy to misunderstand. Most people read without understanding. The important thing is to read slowly and understand.
Well true that most people really read without understanding... it's just like they're only sifting for what they're interested in...
choy wrote:Eastern Christianity. I am not part of an Eastern Catholic parish, part of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. I'm trying to learn the different traditions and its roots. Why we do the things we do. Its Catholic, yet distinctively different from Roman Catholicism.
So you're part of the Ukrainian Catholic Church? I'm sorry I'm just confused on what you're trying to say... Well I'm not really knowledgeable about Byzantine rite... but I wish you luck on what you're seeking...

Mr. Perfect
Myst
Myst
PSN ID: MrPerfect_007

proud to be a roman catholic, pero ano man ang religion basta i-isang diyos lang ang sinasamba natin ay no problem yun sa akin (",)
Playstation 3 120gb cech-2012A
Panasonic Viera TH-L32C10X2
Pldt myDSL ZyXEL P-600 series

PSN ID: --MrPerfect_007--
choy
hype lang

zmed_08 wrote: Well I really am careful on what to believe in but like I said, I didn't say anything about believing its content...
Yes there are a lot of truths out there that I still no nothing of yet, at least for me, I think there is a need to learn about the ideas that were rejected and know why they were by the Church. It gives an understanding on what the Church deemed to be heretical and what they approved of... With terms like "truth" and "lie", isn't it better to understand both? To give you an idea on how they are different, just like differentiating from hot and cold...
I'm just saying its better to learn the truth first. many people study the heresies and because they are not armed with the truth, they fall into the heresies and believe it themselves. heresies are not total lies, if you are not armed with proper information you may not be able to discern a lie from the truth. an example is the Arian heresy. if you are not properly catechized on Jesus being God, you can easily believe what Arianists have to say. because their beliefs also have some basis in scripture and tradition. that is how heresy is born anyway, when scriptures are isolated from the rest and a belief is born out of it.
zmed_08 wrote: Well true that most people really read without understanding... it's just like they're only sifting for what they're interested in...
yes. today people are so empowered with their own opinions that they fail to hear the truths and even opinions of others. they see what they only want to see regardless of what is actually out there.
zmed_08 wrote: So you're part of the Ukrainian Catholic Church? I'm sorry I'm just confused on what you're trying to say... Well I'm not really knowledgeable about Byzantine rite... but I wish you luck on what you're seeking...
HAHAHAH! nagkamali ako ng type. i meant i am NOW a part of an Eastern Catholic parish. canonically (which is Church law) I am still Roman Catholic, but i go to a Ukrainian Catholic parish. parang ngayon andito ako sa Canada as a permanent resident, but i am still a Filipino citizen.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

zmed_08
Primal Rage
Primal Rage

choy wrote:I'm just saying its better to learn the truth first. many people study the heresies and because they are not armed with the truth, they fall into the heresies and believe it themselves. heresies are not total lies, if you are not armed with proper information you may not be able to discern a lie from the truth. an example is the Arian heresy. if you are not properly catechized on Jesus being God, you can easily believe what Arianists have to say. because their beliefs also have some basis in scripture and tradition. that is how heresy is born anyway, when scriptures are isolated from the rest and a belief is born out of it.
Well I guess the general way of teaching these days how to distinguish between each other is to start with the truth...
choy wrote:HAHAHAH! nagkamali ako ng type. i meant i am NOW a part of an Eastern Catholic parish. canonically (which is Church law) I am still Roman Catholic, but i go to a Ukrainian Catholic parish. parang ngayon andito ako sa Canada as a permanent resident, but i am still a Filipino citizen.
Ohhhh... Well that makes more sense. Haha! So no nearby churches which suit your religion? Or were you just interested in the Byzantine Rite to attend?

choy
hype lang

zmed_08 wrote: Well I guess the general way of teaching these days how to distinguish between each other is to start with the truth...
in anything, if the truth is known, its better to start with it. at least grounded na beliefs mo dun. kung wala kang grounding, you'll be easily swayed by other convincing arguments

zmed_08 wrote: Ohhhh... Well that makes more sense. Haha! So no nearby churches which suit your religion? Or were you just interested in the Byzantine Rite to attend?
curiosity lang nung simula. i fell in love instantly and stayed.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

xenj
Katipunero
PSN ID: xenj

Holy Week na nextweek. excited na rin ako mag prusisyon lol. isa sa mga offering ko lagi yun :agree:
[RP][PHI] A-TAPANG A-TAO! SUGOD KATIPUNERO!

PSN ID (HK): xenj

xenj's Battlefield 3 Battlelog
xenj's Gaming Life and Action Figure Collection

ANTI-YLOD

KATIPUNERO NG BATOLPILD 3
skp_16
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: skp7_13

Bakit ang ibang tao (lalo na mga Christians) kung kailan Holy Week (especially from Maundy Thursday - Black Saturday) ay doon pa sila nagbabakashon, nageenjoy, o nagsasaya? :no-no:
Last edited by skp_16 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
conquerorsaint
Starblade Alpha
Starblade Alpha

skp_16 wrote:Bakit ang ibang tao kung kailan Holy Week (especially from Maundy Thursday - Black Saturday) ay doon pa sila nagbabakashon, nageenjoy, o nagsasaya? :no-no:
syempre sasamantalahin yung long weekend para hindi na gagamit ng vacation leave :ashamed: . either that or they are not as devout catholics as others at all or non-practicing, atheists, etc.

ako naman long weekend or not ayoko nakikipagsabayan sa ibang nagbabakasyon hassle lang e :sigh:

sa US and other catholic/christian countries ba may long weekend din kapag holy week? or dito lang sa pinas?

gotta love the holy week here in the philippines though :bigmouth:
Last edited by conquerorsaint on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BUY/SELL/LEND MEETUPS :
WEEKDAYS : Alabang Town Center /Molito Complex Lunch Breaks (12nn-1pm) or After Office Hours (6pm onwards)
skp_16
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: skp7_13

^ Understood siguro kung hindi sila Christian or atheist.
SirZap
Big Daddy
PSN ID: SirZapp

yun lang talaga time na pwede kaming mag-vacation magkaka-barkada. pero kung may simbahan na malapit we make sure na punta kami :agree:
Like · Comment · Share
You and 101 others like this.
jehuty11
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: thatsarcasticguy

pag multiconsole owner ka ba true gamer na agad? di ba pwedeng ayaw mo lang masabihan na fanboy muna? :bigmouth:
PSN ID - Strangebrew11

<(_)>You have earned a trophy.
_/_\_Wala
Wala
choy
hype lang

jehuty11 wrote:pope john paul is in hell daw LOL :bigmouth:

http://www.wattpad.com/967433-prepare-t ... a-zambrano
galing talaga mang propaganda ng Evangelicals. pag may apparition ni Virgin Mary, ayaw nila maniwala. pero pag pabor sa kanila maniniwala sila.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

francis_1787
Silverload
Silverload
PSN ID: franzco

ayoko lang pag holy week...

...prusisyon. :ashamed:
PSN ID: franzco
Diablo 3 Battletag: franzco#6706
Steam Id: legen-dairy

Currently Playing: Diablo 3, DOTA 2, Marvel Heroes
choy
hype lang

francis_1787 wrote:ayoko lang pag holy week...

hindi mo naman kelangan sumama dun. kahit sa church ka lang o sa bahay mag dasal. ang importante, mag dasal at mag reflect sa mga kasalanan at sikapin pagbutihin ang buhay.
_/ \_ Hype lang yan

All form, no substance

Daniel
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano

conquerorsaint wrote:sa US and other catholic/christian countries ba may long weekend din kapag holy week? or dito lang sa pinas?
depende sa company kung may pasok o wala. yung iba walang pasok pag araw ng passover.
PSN ID: Bobo-Bambano (US), Hunghunk (Asian SG), imajackiechanfan (Asian HK)
Cerv-Clash
Primal Rage
Primal Rage
PSN ID: Cerv-Clash

choy wrote:
francis_1787 wrote:ayoko lang pag holy week...

hindi mo naman kelangan sumama dun. kahit sa church ka lang o sa bahay mag dasal. ang importante, mag dasal at mag reflect sa mga kasalanan at sikapin pagbutihin ang buhay.
agree ako diyan :agree:
Personally I have really mixed views each time I think where to "stand" so I decided to start doing more good instead. :ashamed:
http://pinoyps.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t ... 22#p813822
"If you're not going after your dreams, you merely just exist"